Team Urban planning and Centre development
In European cities the historic centres have maintained their strong positions over time. At the same
time we have seen the rise of new centres in the suburban areas of the conurbation. Stedplan has
specialized in understanding the development and functioning of urban centres. The multi disciplinary
character of the people working at our company matches the complex dynamics of these areas. We
made several master plans and managed the planning process. Also we have researched new centres
for over 10 years in several countries of the world and came up with new strategies for urban planning.
In the field of Urban planning and Centre development we can offer you:
- Urban Development Plan, Masterplan & Visions.
- Urban design (in cooperation with Maxwan).
- Ecocities, Newtowns and Downtown commercial areas.
- Shopping centres.
- Functional analysis of surroundings (retail,
leisure, offices, housing, infrastructure).
- Spatial and economic strategy studies.
- Urban regeneration projects.
- Policy papers
- (Re)development strategies.
Information: drs. Pieter van der Heijde, CEO, email@example.com
Telephone number: +31 182 689 416 (office) / +31 651 496 248 (mobile phone)
|Pieter van der Heijde MSc is CEO of Bureau Stedelijke Planning. He holds a master degree in Human Geography and has specialized in integral urban development. In the past years he has drafted a large number of master plans and development strategies for many clients, for example the municipalities of Amsterdam, Rotterdam, The Hague, Breda, Leiden and Gouda and real estate developers, such as ING Real Estate and AM Development. He consulted for new urban centres in Paris, London and Berlin. He is a also PhD candidate, researching new urban centres.
Projects Urban planning and Centre development:
||Leiden Central Railway station area (municipality of Leiden) Master plan for the transformation of the area around the fifth central station of The Netherlands together with Maxwan Architects and Urbanists. Bureau Stedelijke Planning made a functional analysis of surroundings and researched the markets for retail, leisure, offices and housing. The outcomes have been implemented in a restructuring plan. Maxwan made the urban design. The project is now under construction.
Transit Oriented Development in The Netherlands In 2010
Stedplan did a research on Transit Oriented Development (TOD)
in ‘the Randstad’ (the four main city regions in the Netherlands).
TOD refers to the development of compact, high-density and
mixed-use centres that are located around public transit stations.
In this research a comparison was made between the pattern
of urban centres and the underlying transit network and nodes.
This comparison is made for both the current situation and the
estimated situation in 2030. The research resulted in an improved
concept for Transit Oriented Development in ‘the Randstad’.
||Development vision Hollands Spoor Railway Station area
(municipality of The Hague)Hollands Spoor Station is one of
two main railway stations in The Hague. During the years it had
deteriorated into an impoverished part of the The Hague city
centre, and was in need of a thorough revitalization. Since then
the area has undergone a radical transformation into an attractive
mix of houses, shops, offices and colleges. Stedplan was
responsible for the redevelopment programme and the Master
plan. The project is in now under construction.
||An Ecocity design using water in Qingpu, Shanghai China (Municipality of Qingpu) Maxwan designed the master plan ‘the five waters of Qingpu’. The existing water ecology and culture is used as a foundation for a series of new public spaces that will allow each member of the new community to connect to water doing business, walking or playing. Housing on the north side creates intimate spaces connected through a natural park along the main waterway, while cultural uses and retial spaces line the main waterway in the west.
||Master plan Maasterras Drechtsteden (Municipality of Dordrecht) The municipalities of Dordrecht and Zwijndrecht are transforming
the Maasterras area around one of the major rivers of Holland
into the central business district of the region. This area will be
a mixed use area with offices, shops, government buildings and
houses. Stedplan was responsible for the process and the drafting
of the area vision. Area visions (structuurvisies) are a legal
instrument under Dutch law that enables municipalities to allocate
development profits from one area to another.
||New urban centre for Leidsche Rijn (Municipality of Utrecht and
ASR Real Estate)Leidsche Rijn is a new town of 30.000 houses
near the city of Utrecht. It is one of the largest urban projects in
Holland. Maxwan designed the masterplan for this compact city
between major highways. One of these is hidden in a hollow dike.
Stedplan consulted the municipality of Utrecht and the property
development company for the functional spatial structure of the
new urban centre including the shopping and leisure centre.
||New urban centre Torre Lombarde Milano (ING Real Estate) On
behalf of ING Real Estate, Stedplan has analyzed a number of
new urban centres in several countries. One of these centres is
Torre Lombarde in Milano, Italia. A new urban centre consisting
of houses, retail and offices at the ring road around the city of
Milano. Other new urban centres Stedplan researched for ING
Real Estate are Cologne Duets in Germany, Bercy in Paris, and
Hafencity in Germany.
||New town Barking Riverside (London , Barking Riverside ltd.)
The Barking Riverside project consists of 11.000 houses and
urban facilities (shops, bars, restaurants, recreation, sports),
schools, a large new park, a number of public squares, ecological
values and an animated riverfront. It is one of the largest sites
in Greater London. The project is sited near The Thames river,
not far from Canary Wharf. Accessibility to the river will be one
of the features increasing value for the new residents . Maxwan
designed the master plan which describes in detail the structure
and quality of urban space, also outlining the plan’s development
within the next 20 years.
||Master plan line 11 zone The Hague (municipality of The Hague) Railway line 11 connects several very characteristic, but also
problematic, areas in The Hague, and is, as such, symbolic for
the multi ethnic character of this “World City by the Sea”. The
master plan gave different parties a reason to invest in housing,
local economy, public facilities and public space (3.000 houses,
100.000 commercial real estate and 30.000 m2 public space).
These investments will lead to the social-economic progression of these areas. Stedplan was responsible for the programming and
drafting of the master plan. Maxwan made the design view for the
||Urban development plan Ecocity Chungcheongham, South Korea.
City of cities is a proposal of Venhoeven CS for a new city with
500.000 inhabitants and 200.000 jobs. A compact development
of 73 km2 surrounded by nature for the enjoyment of people and
animals. The city’s design has been developed with a view to long
term understanding of how we can make cities fully self sufficient
with zero emissions. The city’s tissue is constructed from an
assortment of urban islands of different sizes and densities. Each
island is part of the metropolis, but at the same time functions
as a completely car-fee village or city offering a combination of
functions. The high density of the city creates options for a well
organised public transport system and a good level of public
facilities. Everything will be within walking distance.
Selections other projects Urban planning and Centre development
- Area vision Kleiwegkwartier, Rotterdam (Municipality of Rotterdam, 2011)
- Spatial economic consultancy Zuidplein Rotterdam (ASR Real estate, 2010)
- Master plan new urban centre Alexandrium Rotterdam (Municipality of Rotterdam, 2010)
- New cultural centre Black Meadow, Ostrava (Maxwan for the city of Ostrava, Czech Republic 2010)
- Evaluation of the redevelopment project of the main centres of the Netherlands (Ministry of VROM, 2009)
- Masterplan for a site between the historic site between the historic centre and the river (Maxwan for UAB Baltisches Haus, city of Kaunas, Lithuania, 2009)
- Master plan Kijkduin (municipality of The Hague, 2009)
- Development vision historic city centre Gouda (AM Development)
- Paris; urban concepts (Orbis Medical and Care centre, 2008)
- Leidsche Rijn Centre; shoppingcentre and leisurefacilities (ASR Real Estate, 2008)
- Rotterdam central station; supervision and masterplan for the area around Rotterdam Central Station (Maxwan for the municipality of Rotterdam, 2007)
- Project A 101; a new town for 320.000 residents south-west of Moscow (Maxwan for Masschtab Management Company ltd., Russia, 2006)
- Vison Bergwijkpark-Noord (Municipality of Diemen, 2006)
- New urban centres in the four biggest cities of The Netherlands: study of the spatial and functional characteristics and future potential (Bureau Stedelijke Planning, 2005)
- Renewal of historic city centres: study for the Innovation Programme Urban Renewal (IPSV) (Ministry of VROM, 2002)
- PPP in urban renewal (IPSV) (Ministry of VROM & SEV, 2002)
- Infrastructure as an urban challenge; study for the Innovation Programme Urban Renewal (IPSV) (Ministry of VROM, 2002)
- Urban Development and main infrastructure study for the Innovation Programme Urban Renewal (IPSV) (Ministry of VROM, 2002)
Bureau Stedelijke Planning b.v.
Klein Amerika 18
2806 CA Gouda
Tel. 0182 689416
Fax. 0182 689417